Sunday, February 18, 2007

I'm Convinced There Are Answers

WIRED magazine's latest cover story is titled “What We Don't Know.” It examines some of the questions we don't have answers to. Questions like “Why do we sleep? “And “What is the universe made of?”


Edge asks leading thinkers to answer their World Question of the Year: “What are you optimistic about? Why?”


In the spirit of these questions, here are the questions I'm asking and what I'm thinking about them.


What can I do besides petition the government? I'm asking this about the genocide in Sudan, about environmental conservation and stewardship, and about homeless people in Fort Worth.


This frustrates me because these issues matter to me, and while I have petitioned the government, specifically for them to pressure Sudan to end its war against its Southern people, I feel like there has to be something more.


I just finished reading a biography of William Wilberforce. He led the fight to end the slave trade in Britain. But he also started and equipped a volunteer movement throughout England for people to see a problem and solve it. Through his influence, people solved problems with prisons, child labor, education, and animal cruelty.


I don't want to sit on the sidelines and tell Sudan to stop. I don't want to petition the government for recycling bins to be put on the streets. I want to do something. But what?


How do you measure maturity? I'm asking this because making disciples only makes sense if I know what reaching the goal looks like.


A professor asked me this, and I have few answers. Everything I'm coming up with is vague. But this matters, or we're wasting our time.


What Do I Love? Who Do I Love? I've just read two books by St. Augustine. His great theme is that what we know is connected to what we do by what we love.


Augustine said, “For when there is a question as to whether a man is good, one does not ask what he believes, or what he hopes, but what he loves.”



J.F. Radosevich

No comments: