Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What is the Church?

"We should conceive of the local church as it is, rather than as it ought to be. Therefore, we can say that the local church is composed of professing believers in Jesus Christ who have been baptized, practice the Lord's Supper, and organize to do God's will. Such a definition includes churches at Corinth, Galatia, Sardis, and Laodicea that were far from ideal." -J. Scott Horrell, From The Ground Up: New Testament Foundations for the 21st Century Church. p. 64
I find that remembering what the church is sharpens my thinking about our college ministry.

This is week four of my new ministry to and with college students. God has given us a lot of favor with the students and the campus down the street.

I'm feeling the need to set and repeat priorities right now because there are so many good things that we can be doing. But I want to do what is most important and best.

One thing I'm keeping in mind is what the church is and does because I want our ministry to be church ministry--strengthening, helping, challenging, and involving the church. Our students need the church, and our church needs these students.

*I can't recommend Horrell's book highly enough. I read it in one sitting, and it shook me up and energized me.

No comments: