Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Quotations: What we find at the Cross

I'm preparing a Bible study for my group at church, and I found this quotation. I first read this several months ago, and it still floors me.

All I am and hope for is riveted to that one mysterious moment when history froze into focus: the Cross of Christ! At that pivot of history, time stood still. Nothing moved. In time, I came upon this place; and I found both excellence and shame.

There Jesus' sacrifice stands embarrassingly close to my self-centeredness. There I bring my greed and beg his generosity. There I bring all my trivial whimperings and marvel again at the depths of his suffering and how far he was willing to go.

Again and again I ask myself what binds his dying to my living. The only answer is love--undeserved and unfailing: I need him. It is as if I open my thin wallet and find it gorged with the treasuries of God.

Calvin Miller in Once Upon a Tree

Here is another one I found while studying:

Oh, how precious is the news that God does not hold our sins against us! And how beautiful is Christ, whose blood made it right for God to do this.

John Piper in The Passion of Jesus Christ


J.F. Radosevich

No comments: