Tuesday, May 01, 2007

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Dr. Esqueda described his first visit to Cuba with his eyes red and watery but with no crack in his voice. The believers lived and gathered in one of Cuba's poorest areas with a two-stringed guitar as their only instrument. He said they sang, "There is a house, better than mine" about heaven and their longing for it. "Every time I went to Cuba, I heard them pray for Christ to come back. I don't hear that here."

He capped the semester on a different but most relevant subject--Hope.

I wrote a paper this week, one element in the paper described the perspective in 1 Peter that salvation is past because it is based on Jesus' death and resurrection but that it is also future because it is not complete or completely realized. We're still waiting.

Dr. Esqueda played a video of U2 recording "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" with a gospel choir in Harlem.

I believe in the kingdom come
Then all the colors will bleed into one
Bleed into one
Well yes I'm still running

You broke the bonds and you
Loosed the chains
Carried the cross
Of my shame
Of my shame
You know I believed it

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for. . .

Come Lord Jesus. You're what I'm looking for.

No comments: