Monday, August 20, 2007

Wash

Last night, we celebrated the communion at my church. Sunday evening worship and communion are my favorite times at my church. They combined last night to powerful effect.

Two ideas from the sermon reverberated into today.

  • 1) I need to come before God in humble confession.

I hardly ever truly and humbly confess. I'm half-hearted when I do.

  • 2) I need to confess before my brothers and sisters and hear them proclaim me forgiven.
I need to confess to my brothers because in doing so I expose my sin for being real and evil, I leave what I've done behind, and I open my life to examination. Their proclamation to me of what Jesus has done for me opens a truth that is deeper than my guilt and that releases me from shame.

"Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me." Psalm 51:2-3 (ESV)

"Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool." Isaiah 1:18 (ESV)

No comments: