Tuesday, April 08, 2008

With All My Mind

I've had a nagging sense of dissatisfaction for the last year or so. I've stayed busy and never nailed down what bothered me so much. I figured it out this week.

I haven't grown intellectually in the last couple of years.

I learned many facts, grew emotionally and spiritually, and developed my gifts and talents. But I don't think clearer or understand the world better than I did when I left college. I've found myself relying on past learning.

My professors challenged and equipped me to face and engage postmodern philosophies, poor textual hermeneutics, and thorny ethical debates. They taught me the broad brush strokes of God's story in the Bible and how to study the jots and tittles of Scripture. They watched and listened as I discovered and asked hard questions about truth and the world and gave me the encouragement and conviction that there are answers. And that the answers matter.

I'm grateful to them for that, so I won't accept shrinking intellectual muscles.

'And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' Mark 12.30

No comments: